Thursday 16 May 2013

Eight Below (2006)


You might have a few preconceived notions about this film, which I feel the need to clear up before I can begin with the actual review/opinion portion of this post. Don’t worry, I’m not going to spend too long on this, but it is necessary, so bear with me.

First of all, this is a family drama by Disney so right now anyone over the age of 15 is probably thinking ‘this isn't a film for me’. You are wrong. This film may be by Disney but that doesn't mean it’s just for kids, this packs a punch and a half and I defy any adult not to shed a tear or two over this one. It’s reminiscent of Marley & Me in that respect. Not only will it tug at any person who has a heart, but it also raises some interesting ideas about how far a person would go to rescue the ones they love, whether that person is human or canine. Don’t dismiss yourself because you don’t think this film is for your demographic; personally I’m not sure this film has an age demographic. If you like a good film then here’s your ticket.


Second of all, the cast. If, like me, you’re not a fan of Paul Walker because he seems like a one-trick-pony who can only do action-hero/bad-guy/heart-throb then please just leave those thoughts at the doorstep for a moment. Walker shines in this production, because for once he’s playing a character whose sole purpose isn't to get the girl (though he does) or catch the bad guy and look cool doing it – this character has an emotional connection to the canines he is trying to save and that emotion is etched into every action he takes and every plea he makes. Paul Walker isn't the only casting choice I would like to address however, because while he does make up much of the film, it is also the canine cast whose journey we explore. These guys aren't just there to coo over either, these guys are characters. They have their own characteristics and story lines and they are just as heart-breaking and believable as the human cast. I was genuinely flabbergasted by the talent these beautiful canines display – and flabbergasted isn't a word I use lightly.


Now for the review portion, to reiterate my previous statements – this film is truly great. It follows Jerry (Walker), an Antarctic guide who is forced to leave his beloved team of sled dogs behind in the Antarctic winter to fend for themselves after he and his colleague are injured in the field. Obviously this doesn't go down well and while Jerry tries and fails for many portions of the film to get back out there and see if he can save his team, we follow the journey of the dogs and witness how they survive the treacherous winter and lack of food, not to mention dangerous predators. 
Loyalty and friendship are where the heart of this film lies. 

If you’re an animal lover then be warned, you will most likely cry at regular intervals of this film. While I love a good tear-jerker I often make it my mission not to succumb to the tears, but I failed with spectacular fashion at this one; and let me tell you, I am not a graceful crier. Picture crocodile tears and a horribly blotched face - hence the try-not-to-cry-at-films-mission. Whenever it comes to animals that face danger or pain, however, I have no control over my tear ducts. Which makes me wonder - has anyone else ever experienced the overwhelming need to cry when a dog dies in ANY film, yet can remain stoic and tear-free when it comes to human death? (Sam from I Am Legend comes to mind, along with Marley from, need I say it, Marley & Me). Does this say more about me, or the age in which we live where death doesn't seem a shocking thing to witness on film?
Moving swiftly on…

It might interest you that this film was inspired by true events, so naturally I researched just how closely the film stays true to these ‘events’. I was surprised to find that, though it was moved about thirty years into the future and the Antarctic team was changed from Japanese to American, it does remain quite faithful to the original and harrowing tale. The film depicts a much happier ending however (SPOILER), with most of the sled dogs surviving the impossible conditions of the Antarctic winter, while in reality only two of the sled dogs survived in a team of fifteen. A tragic and harrowing fact which makes you appreciate the vulnerability of your pet-pooch just a bit more, huh?

All-in-all, this is a film I would recommend to pretty much anyone and I enjoyed the style and emotion with which it was made, no hammy acting, no cliche – which is a risk in a film like this. Just an excellent family drama for any and all ages.

Best line:
Jerry:You gotta take chances for the things you care about...

To cut a long story short…
Would I recommend this? ABSOLUTELY. 

A film ramblers star rating?

That’s it for now folks…



No comments:

Post a Comment